Linux Systems Engineer
We live in a world where the future of democracy is no longer assured, and the power and opacity of corporations threatens to undermine society. If you want to make a difference, want to make sure that fundamental rights and democratic values are maintained, join OpenCorporates, the largest open database of companies in the world.
OpenCorporates is increasing its platform engineering capacity by recruiting an experienced Linux Systems Engineer to the team. You will be working in close co-operation with our development team, helping to craft and maintain one of today's most exciting open data projects.
You can read more about the impact we have, and the tech side of things, on our blog.
- Supporting the infrastructure that hosts the OpenCorporates website and associated services.
- Safeguarding the vitally important data that makes OpenCorporates such a trusted resource, whilst ensuring that data is made freely available to everyone.
- Sharing responsibility for maintaining the security, performance, stability and efficiency of the infrastructure in its entirety.
- Working closely with the technical team and with senior management to assess system performance, respond to technical incidents and offer suggestions relating to the company's continual improvement.
- Managing the complete life-cycle of servers, from specification to build and deployment, through configuration management, monitoring and eventual decommissioning.
- Helping the development teams to design and build effective and scalable solutions that include the right choices of software, hardware, and cloud services.
- Writing clearly and accurately, whether to propose changes, to report on project progress, or to ensure that current platform documentation is up to date.
- Maintaining a strong focus on the availability, performance, security and resilience of the technical systems that underpin OpenCorporates.
- Working with existing configuration management systems and helping to design the future of our platform orchestration and automation facilities.
- £45-60k depending on experience
- 26 days holiday plus public holidays
- We always accommodate any reasonable requests for book/training/conference/etc expenditure
- Full time, based at our amazing offices in the Old Street/Hoxton/Silicon Roundabout area of London
- Remote working is a possibility
- Participation in an on-call rota for out-of-hours incident response
The successful candidate will be required to have:
- A strong Linux system administration background.
- A proven track record in Linux systems engineering, including hardware servers or cloud services or both.
- A passion for continual learning, since the technical landscape can change quickly.
- A working knowledge of agile methodologies and the git distributed version control system.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Desirable Technical Skills:
Any experience with the following systems will be considered desirable:
- Puppet configuration management.
- Cloud computing environments such as Amazon Web Services.
- Ruby on Rails
- Nginx, Apache and Phusion Passenger application servers.
- MySQL, Elasticsearch, Redis and Neo4J databases.
- Docker, Apache Mesos and other container based techniques.
- Monitoring frameworks such as Icinga, Grafana, Graphite, and Statsd.
- DHCP, DNS, TFTP, SMTP and other infrastructure related protocols.
- Netfilter, Shorewall and general firewall related concepts.
- Load-balancing techniques and tools such as LVS and HAproxy.
- Network management, including VPN technologies and traffic monitoring.
- Storage services such as DRBD, RAID, ZFS, NFS, Ceph etc.